The Scripture Union Ethos


When I came to Scripture Union more than 30 years ago, I heard people talking about “the SU ethos” in a way that made it sound like the secret to everything. Over the years, I’ve tried to pin down the definition of this distinctive trait. Whenever I’d ask about it, people would say something like, “I’m not sure what it is, but I really believe in it.”

So ever since I became the President of Scripture Union/USA, I’ve been on a quest to find the SU ethos. I’ve listened to longtime board members. I’ve talked with SU volunteers and staff. I even wrote a paper on it. But in all that, I wasn’t sure I had it completely figured out.

Then one day I was invited to speak in France at a conference for Scripture Union leaders from around the world. I accepted before I knew the topic. A few weeks later I got an email asking me to give two presentations on...the SU ethos. Uhhh ohhh, the pressure was on.

When the day came, I was eager to share my thoughts. But before I spoke, Emmanuel Oladipo, SU’s International Director, led us in morning devotions. He began by asking us to read a short Bible passage and gave us time to prayerfully reflect on it. I thought, “This is so typical of Scripture Union. Can’t we do anything more exciting?”

He then told us how as a teenager in Nigeria, someone taught him the Scripture Union Method of daily Bible reading--Pray, Read, Reflect, Apply, Pray--at an SU camp. He finished by saying, “And with very few exceptions, I have begun every day since then by meditating on a passage of Scripture and praying for God’s help to apply it.”

His unassuming testimony had a powerful effect on me. I suddenly realized the distinctive feature of Scripture Union is that we are a worldwide fellowship of people who, like Emmanuel, have built our lives around the simple practice of Bible reading and prayer. And our “secret” is not a desire for more Bible knowledge or greater spiritual discipline. Rather, it's a quiet passion for meeting God every day. That’s why we read the Bible. That’s why we pray. That’s why we reach out to a world in need. That’s the SU ethos.

After Emmanuel finished his Bible study, I gave my two speeches and people seemed to like what I had to say. But I came home from France with a new appreciation for the incredible gift Scripture Union has given me over the years. It’s a gift I plan to enjoy, I hope with very few exceptions, every day for the rest of my life. And I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment